The Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship Fund was established by Necia Jeffries, at the request of Ms. Jeffries’ late mother, Dorothy Lajewel Myree, to honor the legacy of service of Dr. Margaret Burroughs, the founder of the DuSable Museum. This tribute scholarship will award $2500.00 to an African American single mother who is pursuing educational opportunities. The winner will be announced at the 2013 DuSable Museum King Day Celebration on Monday, January 21, 2013.
- Be an African American single mother, age 17-35 years old, residing in the city of Chicago or its surrounding suburbs.
- Have custodial care of one or more children under the age of 18.
- Be accepted or enrolled in a skills training, GED program, community college, college, university, graduate school, vocational or technical school for the current academic year (2013-14).
- Complete application, including a verification of enrollment letter from a school counselor, administrator, or instructor.
- Write an essay (minimum of 250 words) about why she should be the recipient of the Dr. Margaret T. Burroughs Scholarship.
- Meet the appropriate deadline of Friday, January 4, 2013
Applications can be submitted by:
Fax: Attn: Dr. Burroughs Scholarship Fund at (773) 947-0677
Mail: Dr. Burroughs Scholarship Fund at 740 E. 56th Place, Chicago, IL 60637
There is no application fee!
For further details about the Dr. Margaret Burroughs Scholarship, call 773 947-0600 ext. 290.
Click here to download PDF application: http://goo.gl/2SgWK